Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It's just a bunch of garbage

http://www.storyofstuff.com/index.html

If you are in my email list you got this link. This is the best explanation of what has been bothering me ( as both a participant and a rebel) for a long time. I have had this vague unease about the future and find myself craving to be viable off the grid. Thoughts like, what would it be like if the power went off for a week? Never mind just off. What would I do? What could I eat if the grocery store was closed or say-- blown up? So I have been having these kind of apochalyptic thoughts for years now, and have brushed it off as a form of paranoia or perhaps transference of anxiety from the childhood stories of my mothers hometown
being blown to bits in WW2.

I guess I deep down believe that ,yes, it really can all just go away. It is a possibility. It is the first thing I thought of when 9/11 happened. Wow. It is just a little bit of America, imagine it was a whole city. Not impossible. But maybe and what if have lead me to quiet insanity before.
Now I wonder after seeing this video if it is simply the gut reaction that there is something fundamentally wrong with our culture,and that we cannot continue the present course.I try to avoid advertisement, but it has so diluted any media that it is difficult to see what's going on in the world and not be exposed. What bothers me most is when I don't even conciously hear it anymore. Because when I really listen it is pure insanity. Spin and play on words and images. Marketing to children whose parents are to exhausted from the treadmill they aquiesce just to shut them up. Can't disappoint the children!

So as usual I will have my opinion and then promptly look in my own back yard, or gargbage can and shopping bag, as it were. So maybe I'll pledge in 2008 to not buy anything I won't use for 5 more years, or use up everything I have, or something noble like that... Drat, no more pen and paper splurges. I did realize over the last 10 years I have started and never filled at least as many journals. What made me think I needed a new one? I wonder.

No comments: