Monday, January 21, 2008

somewhere between mundane and ridiculous

All it takes a bad haircut to set in motion the wheels of my sorry mind. Was it poor judgement or the universe taking a little back of the good fortune I've had lately? It began with the impulsive decision that I needed a trim, and was facing a busy week. I felt somehow virtuous as I sat to wait my turn in this drive-thru haircutter, thinking of the fifty or so dollars I wouldn't be wasting on such a silly thing as haircut. The girl who came to get me was sweet and used all the right buzz words but I crossed my fingers anyway as I always do when someone new wields scissors in back of my head. I explained what I wanted and she -- as we say in nurse speak --verbalized understanding. One side went fine. I had just begun to relax when -snip. It was done. The girl in her sweet voice said " There hows that?" I said "It is shorter on one side. Way shorter than I wanted." Sweet voice said, "oh, it is a little shorter." I said " A little?? Its about two inches shorter!" Sweet voice trembled and the color rose in her cheeks. At one point she even looked to the ceiling, in a way that made me wonder if she was praying to the goddess of hairdressers to rescue her. I just couldn't let my anger out after that. I thought about the thirteen bucks I'd pay for the haircut and how she told me she was working six days a week. I was polite, paid and left. And ranted to my own hair goddess about the injustice of having to grow these bangs out once again, but the heated leather seat beneath my ample behind reminded my that I really can't complain if a bad haircut is the worst I have to suffer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i have to tell you... that made me chuckle :)