Sunday, November 18, 2007

The pox on it

K1 is doing a report on disease in the 17th and 18th century. We were just talking about small pox. It was not long ago in my line of work there were meetings and training and signup sheets for volunteers willing to recieve the first immunizations and participate in the mass vaccinations of population that would follow. We were shown photos, thankfully old ones since small pox has been allegedly erradicated. I thought of my professional exposure and my children. For a moment or two I glimpsed a panic of self preservation that can make the best organization unravel. And then I was again safe in my present. My well fed and healthy present. We are bessed, lucky and spoiled. So when our turn comes, we should not complain.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

a lot of people are already complaining :).