Thursday, November 1, 2007

What, it's over already???

How typical of holidays. The enormous anticipation. The flurry of frantic preparation-- and then, it's over, done, finito. There's that morning after of decorations around the house. I just put them up, should I take them down already? Seems like a lot of wasted effort. And then there's Christmas... I was in the stores on the Saturday before Halloween and all the costumes were gone and the shelves were stocked with Christmas stuff. Reminds me of one blizzardy March when I lost one of my winter gloves and searched through a department store full of shorts and bathing suits.

K2 went trick or treating, all glittered again, and K1 stayed home with me to watch Charmed and not (!) eat the 5 lbs of candy I got for the trick or treaters that never came (we have a long driveway, but I like to be prepared). At least I'm stocked up for every possible mood swing until April. Somehow the candy always disappears. I think the little gremlins come in at night and eat them because I am always finding the wrappers behind the couch. They sometimes smear some chocolate on K2's cheeks, too, probably hoping I'll blame her.

K1 finally made it through a whole day of school, and I was so happy to hear her back to the chatter box she usually is. Some virus. She is still tired, but at least not to tears anymore.

K2 is standing next to me singing a song from Spirit(the horse movie, not deity) at the top of her lungs, thumbing through a toy catalog with kid-size Cadillac Escalades in it. She points out a big doll house identical to the one she had two or three years ago, which collected dust, then clutter and now resides at the dump. And so the next season begins. When I worked in the hospital a young nurse I trained would sing a happy song when the stress became extreme, just to break the tension. Sort of like the insane giggle but more socially acceptable. That song was jingle bells. It worked.
So as the new season begins, I sing jingle bells -- but for me it has a slightly different meaning...

2 comments:

greenwood blogger said...

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. (Which is actually the next one coming up, despite what the retailers would like us to believe.) No decorating, very little prep work, no cards, no presents, no expectation. Just friends and family (a.k.a. family of choice) around the table. I can't wait!

So glad K1 has a little more prep to her step today!

Unknown said...

hahahha.. oh that made me laugh..im so glad to hear k1 is feeling better! keep blogging!!