Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Is it just me?

I found my thoughts in my morning coffee, just as I expected. They were still squirming enough to bring me to the keyboard, even though I onlyhave 10 minutes before I have to run. I now don't know where to begin. I spent most of my life feeling like I was on the outside looking in, watching sometimes tragedy, sometimes comedy in which things seemed to be so clear to me, but not to the players. Maybe I need medication. Maybe that would help me feel like I belong. But then when I look closer I'm not sure I want to be one of them. Chances are if you are reading this you are one of the more conscious beings on this planet, and you may very well feel the same. What I am seeing now is a species that is rather insane and self destructive. A culture that values growth and expansion but is terrified of death and contraction. In the human body, it is called cancer. Rest is not rest anymore it is an alternate diversion. If you are not doing something, and passive activities like sleeping do not qualify, there is something wrong with you. And if there is something wrong with you, you better fix it quick or something worse will happen. Yikes! What are people doing to themselves?
Are most people handling it, oblivious, or just putting on a brave face?

2 comments:

greenwood blogger said...

I dropped out of that race about the same time I dropped out of my last marriage. I refuse to overbook or be in a hurry any more. There's nothing wrong with doing nothing and it's frequently what the body demands. Of course, I have the luxury of living alone and only answering to myself. When that changes, demands start to be made that sometimes can't be fended off. The last guy I dated just could not understand why I kept sending him home so I could have quiet time to myself --was horrified and absolutely offended by my need for time without him. Too many people have no idea how to be quiet and still.

Kim said...

It isn't just you. Sleep, slowing down, stillness and quiet are things we all need. I make a point to fit them into my schedule because if I don't I suffer and if I suffer so does everyone around me. Too many people buy into the crap that we must be in constant motion.