Monday, February 18, 2008

Parent volunteers

These are two small words that have a profound effect on me these days. My eyes fell on them today as I stood at the kitchen counter finishing the last bite of supper. Of the hundreds of flyers from school that get batched next to the toaster, I can't now remember which one it was, nor does it really matter since they all say the same thing. Another activity/group/comittee wanting a piece of me. I tear them in quarters and use them for scrap paper since it is a shame to waste the unprinted side. All those nice bright clean pages in eye catching colors. All those fancy fonts and clipart. All those trees.
Parent volunteers. I laughed out loud and my daughter asked why. I wasn't exactly sure, but I did feel a little unhinged at the moment. I think it is a side effect of the cheerleading frenzy.
(Volunteers, yeah... right...) I don't feel very voluntary right now. I feel something more like roped in.
Parent Volunteer for Sunday's competition wanted: Drive 2hrs to Boston, pay $12 admission fee, stand for 1hr, sit on bleachers for four hours, drive 2 hours home. Mission: to qualify by minimum score to drive 9 hours to Virginia Bach in May.
Yay! we won 2nd place out of 2, and we qualify. That means we get to go (read 18hours round trip+ $300 min food and lodge) to VA!!!
Ok.. where's the koolaide? Maybe then this would make sense.
But seriously, folks, I think I may pull the plug at least on that trip. I can't seem to swallow all day for the knot in my throat and past experience tells me that I need to speak up.
Parent Volunteers. LOL No thanks, not for me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOLOL... there's always something so oxymoronic about that phrase, isnt' there? LOLOL....

Kim said...

LOL, ah I can so relate and wish I couldn't. You can say no. For your sanity and health and pocketbook and to be saved from that lingering taste of kool aid in your mouth... and big hugs to you!!